Rodent Control: A Comprehensive Guide For Spokane Homeowners
July 15, 2023
Belonging to the order Rodentia, more than 2,000 different species of rodents exist, which makes them the largest single group of mammals. One commonality among rodents is having front teeth called incisors that grow continually. You can find rodents throughout most of the world, and these pests often live in proximity to humans.
Are you struggling with a dangerous rodent problem? Based on the risks involved, seeking assistance from a local pest control company is usually the best means of responding to these concerns. A qualified Spokane pest control professional is familiar with the majority of rodents in Washington State and understands how to get rid of rodents safely and quickly.
Common Rodent Species: Identifying Different Types Of Rodents
Here are some primary examples of rodents that often create problems for property owners in the greater Spokane region:
- Deer mice: Despite their small size, they can pose big human health risks, as they carry hantavirus—a dangerous respiratory disease.
- Field mice: Primarily outdoor rodents, field mice have small bodies with brown or grey fur and lighter-colored bellies and feet. They often live outside in grass areas like fields, meadows, parks, and lawns.
- House mice: The house mouse typically appears gray with a cream-colored underbelly. Their bodies usually measure 2 to 4 inches with a tail of a similar length.
- Norway rats: Commonly referred to as brown rats, Norway rats have a body length of about 9 inches and a tail of roughly 6 to 8 inches. Norway rats have stout bodies with blunt muzzles and a lighter-colored underbelly.
- Roof rats: Often called black rats, roof rats have a body that usually measures 6 to 8 inches long and a tail of approximately the same length. As excellent climbers, roof rats got their name because they often enter homes from the upper floors.
Most rodent species are opportunistic scavengers that may pose health risks and potentially create property damage. These pests may venture indoors seeking sources of food, water, or shelter.
Health Risks And Property Damage: Rodents Can Create Many Problems
What are some of the primary problems associated with the different rodents found in this region? Some health risks that rodents might pose include salmonellosis, tularemia, rat-bite fever, and many other significant concerns. As they travel through a home, rodents might contaminate food and surfaces with their urine and feces.
Homeowners often find that rodents will damage fabrics, insulation, and other materials as they gather materials for building nests. Because they constantly gnaw on things, rodents also represent a potential fire hazard when they encounter electrical wiring.
Professional Rodent Control: The Safe Way To Remove An Infestation
In many cases, property owners try do-it-yourself home treatment options that are sold by retailers. Unfortunately, many of these options prove insufficient against larger rodent infestations and may pose health risks. For a positive outcome, seeking help from a professional home pest management company is recommended.
Top Rodent Prevention Tips: How to Keep Your Home Rodent-Free
Are you wondering how to get rid of rodents that have invaded your home? Contact a local pest control professional for help with these unwanted pests. Backwoods Pest Control is an experienced provider of rodent control solutions for property owners in the Spokane area.
After receiving an inquiry, we will deploy a trained technician to the property to conduct a detailed assessment. This inspection is a critical first step that allows for determining the best forms of treatment. Some of the most effective options we use for rodent control include traps, baiting stations, and more. Many of our residential customers choose our ongoing property protection plans.
Contact our office today for further information.